Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Little Girls Coat

This is the last project I completed. It is a little girls coat. I made it for my sister, Britney, for her birthday. I figured if she has three girls, it will fit one of them (probably Vivian) and the Avery can grow into it. The fabric is corduroy and it is lined on the hem, cuffs, and pockets with a cotton floral print. I used a pattern for this project, but I made a few changes. Thats my favorite thing about knowing how to make patterns (thanks to Dr. Burnham, BYU).... for most things, it takes too long to make a flat pattern because then you usually have to make a muslin mock up and then make some more changes, then alterations, etc. But knowing how to make them helps me follow any pattern really easily. Plus, although you won't find me making a whole pattern from scratch, I do love to make little changes like... changing the collar, bands, cuffs, add more/less flare or gather, etc. For this coat I added a hem band and the gathered cuffs. I contemplated doing bound buttons holes, but then I came up with this rosette/snap idea.




5 comments:

ringermelinda1@gmail.com said...

This coat is so darling Jilly! and the bibs are so cute too!Great job!
Melinda

Justin and Michelle said...

Jill, you should sell those jackets! I'd buy one for one of my new neices! lol...

Britney and Jaren Jensen said...

WOW!!! You don't even know how dang excited I am that I get this darling coat! YES YES YES!!!! I LOVE IT!!! My girls will love it! The colors are beautiful and the pattern is so amazing, your stitching is perfect!! I want to ditch Vegas and come sew with you!!! Thank you a million!! Best birthday present EVER! I can't wait to get it :)

Adams Family said...

you are seriously amazing!!! and I love my bib u made me, it is the cutest!

jaclyn anderson said...

Jilly you are absolutely an amazing seamstress! That coat is too cute and will look even more so on Vivy!